Old 07-08-20, 12:40 PM
supernova87a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
You own a classic bike. I have been looking for this model with Postal team colors for 10 years, and would be willing to sell my soul for it. Actually, I already sold my soul to a certain young woman in 1983 ... but that is another story.
When you were bike shopping, did you have a chance to lift the newest Uber-bikes to check for weight? I have - they are porky beasts. Top-end bikes have been getting heavier and not lighter.

Reasons: ...

Recommendation: get some carbon road bars and a carbon post. A huge upgrade would be low-profile carbon tubular wheels. You would shave at least a pound of rotating mass, and transform you bike (or any bike) into the next level. A major quantum level change in ride performance. But brace yourself for the learning curve of gluing and rim-prep.
Thanks for all those thoughts -- good to know that some things are not leaving me behind in the dust! I agree about the new fat tires -- seems everyone gained size in old age (lol). And I too remember loving the Trek USPS white/blue/red design in the stores at the time I bought mine. Or the yellow/blue/red design too.

A question for all on the topic of pedals -- as mentioned above mine are the pretty old heavy Look pedals, and the clips are screwed to the bottom of my Nike road shoes. Have had to replace the clips once in my lifetime.

I was always wondering whether I should move to the flat disc pedal type (SPD?) or one of the kinds that don't cause you to clip/clop awkwardly when trying to walk around off the bike. (Although I suppose that requires new shoes too?)

Last edited by supernova87a; 07-08-20 at 12:52 PM.