View Single Post
Old 01-02-17, 09:34 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
mlau, I'm assuming you've heard of the book "Spark Joy". I have not read it myself and I'm sure I'm over-simplifying, but the basic premise is that you de-clutter your home and life by getting rid of things that don't "spark joy".

I can think of lots of items in my life that I use all the time (and would be hard to do without) which don't really "spark joy" so I'm sure there's more to it than that. But anyway, the impression given is that a lot of things we keep are really a drag on our life rather than something that adds to it. We'd be happier without all of that stuff.

Would it work applied to bikes? I have two bikes. One definitely "Sparks Joy" more than the other. But the bike that sparks joy would more likely spark injury during the winter, so I have a winter bike.

Another forum I participate in relates to film, in particular old 8mm film. Most of the people that participate are collectors (I'm not). There are some that have hundreds of titles including ones they haven't viewed in years, if ever. It strikes me (as mostly an outsider) as almost a sickness. Then again, I found myself the owner of 8 old film cameras (35 mm SLRs and a range finder) in a pretty short period of time. I don't need 8 cameras. So I decided I needed slim down the collection. Limiting it to the ones that "spark joy" is a useful criteria.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-02-17 at 09:46 AM.