Old 08-08-18, 08:51 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Since I got back into mountain biking and newly into road biking about a year ago I have gone completely clip-less and would never go back to platforms except for maybe a super casual slow comfort bike type ride. I started with SPD on my mountain bike but then got ahold of a pair of CrankBrothers Mallets and switched to them on my mountain bike because I love having the platform surrounding the pedal. Sometimes when on the trail I need to unclip to put a foot down then get back on the pedal quickly. The platform gives me the ability to immediately mash and worry about clicking in after. I've also switched to Mallets on my commuter because I get the benefit of MTB shoes with a recessed cleat making them easier to walk in and the Mallets are easier to pedal with my regular shoes after I've showered and changed into my work clothes.

On my road bike I first started with a pair of double sided SPD/flat pedals that also have a semi cage around the clip. I really hated them because I spent too much time fidgeting with the pedal to get the right side up when trying to clip in. For a while I switched to a regular Shimano SPD pedal which worked pretty well, but recently I've switched to SPD-SL and I LOVE them! The SL is so much more stable especially when out of the saddle. I can get out of the saddle and climb so much more confidently now. I also find clipping in much easier in the SL's and they even make a better platform than regular SPD if you don't get clipped in or are in flats.

Also, I did have the ubiquitous rookie slow speed fall over on my first road ride with clipless. That was even after having used them for a while on the trainer to get comfortable clipping in/out. I was coming to a stop and got my right foot unclipped but when I came to the stop the bike leaned left instead. Even though I was stopped I still hurt my hand pretty good because I stupidly try to catch myself and slammed my palm right on one of the crosswalk ramps with the raised bumps.