View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 11:33 AM
achanez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traveling with my bike or buy/sell

Hi all - New to the forum, and hope I found the right category for this post.

I have been casually riding for about 10 years, but only recently for exercise. Before, it was just cruising around or getting from A to B. I signed up for Seattle to Portland, and shortly after, we found out my wife is pregnant, and decided we wanted to move to be closer to family before she gets into the third trimester. This means we are moving one month before STP.

I currently ride a ~2007 Specialized Allez Elite. With the big move, baby on the way, looking for a new job, etc., I am trying to make this ride as hassle free as possible. Currently, my plan is to leave my bike with my riding partner, try to buy a used bike of similar fit in California to train on for the month leading up to the ride, bring my Allez Elite back to CA with me after STP, and sell the used bike I bought for training. I'll have plenty of free time for my first week in California to find a bike and tune it up, but come race time, I imagine I will be flying out, riding, and flying back. Am I overthinking traveling with a bike, or do does my plan seem viable?

I tried to look into renting a road bike, and it seems like I could buy/sell for much cheaper, even if I were to buy a brand new entry level bike and sell it.

For reference of my mechanical aptitude, I just now started servicing my own bike, after spending more than I could afford at bike shops. Basic maintenance like derailleur adjustments, bottom bracket replacement, wheel and tire changes, etc.

Thanks in advanced!