View Single Post
Old 06-14-19, 08:53 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-man
I didn't want to start a new thread so I felt my question would fit here: I am currently shopping a 2019 Brompton and prefer the S bar model; however, my LBS mainly stocks M bar models (I assume they are more popular). I do not want to commit to a special order so I am exploring different options driven by comfort, convenience, and resale. Judging by the pictures above, an M stem + low rise bar would yield a height close to the S model and in my opinion look much better than the S or M bars. Has anyone swapped the handlebar on their M model to a low rise bar without changing the cables? I can't see how a little extra slack will impact the fold, but that is why I'm asking the question.
The extra cable length may or may not be an issue when folding or unfolding. Depends from which bars you want to use alternatively. A too long rear brake cable may throuw the chain off the chainwheel while unfolding. A too long front brake cable may hang with the grip of the folding hinge on the stem and thus occassionally make folding or undfolding unpleasant. If the height difference between the bars is not that high you won't have an issue. Factoryvise the height difference between M and S is 10cm and this problably will create an issue.