Old 10-26-08, 07:18 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I'm car-free, and I've only done a few organized cycling events: a few club-sponsored group rides, a couple of charity events, and one (my only, ever) Critical Mass ride.

Most of the time, I just ride around to get to places I need to be. I've never raced on a bike, and, since I'm into heavy steel bikes, I'm pretty sure I never will. I've found that getting to local events is pretty easy, I just ride there, do the event, and ride back.

In general, I haven't been that crazy about organized cycling events, and it has little to do with the car-free part. I'm not sure why this is, since I participate in running races about 3-6 times a year, and I like those quite a bit. (I ride to the runs, too, unless they're half-marathons.)
I seem to be in a similar path. I have basic steel framed bikes-that fold to resist theft-that I use for mostly utility cycling. Even when I was younger and more active, I still tended to cycling in the same fashion. I am not sure that I would even ride a bike if it was not for freeing myself from car ownership.