View Single Post
Old 04-26-17, 03:33 PM
Nomad2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
First of all, BTID thumb strain was common for mtn bikers using shifters that were unreasonably stiff. That problem is what led to the lighter action, more ergonomic levers we see today.

Odds are that your thumb will recover, unless there's an underlying issue like rheumatic arthritis.

Besides learning to relax and not use a death grip when riding, you might invest a few dollars in a grip exerciser of the type used by tennis players. If all else fails, the remedy might be to (gasp) switch to twist shifters. If this is too declassee for you, you might leave the original shifters in place as chamouflage.
Interesting perspective. I must say the action of my XT levers is not noticeably easier than the old 1998 Acera ones I had on my old bike. Mainly for the front. That one is tougher to move and longer travel required to make the change. I would consider getting grip shifters if I could get ones to match my 10 speed shimano gearing. I'll try making some adjustments first and go from there. Thanks!