Old 08-30-19, 08:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The web articles that came out back in the day talking about "climbers" and "sprinters" and "roullers" and all this stuff really missed the mark with the target audience. The average joe amateur racer need not worry about any of that stuff.

The best indicator of performance is performance itself, meaning..........do you win, do you stay up front or with the main group, get dropped to a slower group, do you fall all the way off and head back to your car?

Instead, consider what event(s) you're going to do. Think about what kind of efforts and energy systems those events use or demand. Then within some time before the event, transition your workouts to the ones that are good for that event.

It wouldn't do me any good to think I'm a "climber" or a "breakaway person" or something. I'm a hobby riding schmuck. Those things matter to upper level teams and organizations.

You can track your data while doing specific workouts and planning for a race, sure. But I wouldn't look at that curve and pigeon hole yourself into a way of thinking and executing your work.

FYI, I posted this same thing a few years back when I read about "rider types" online.