Old 09-18-18, 10:19 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocomp has responded to my latest email already, so no complaints about the response time to the second email. Still no response to the first and I don't suppose I will get one now since they undoubtedly know that both are from the same person. I would typify the response as "it can't be our fault, it must be the other guy's product"!

In this case they say it must be the wheel speed sensor.

Which works perfectly fine with my Lezyne computer.

And which, along with it's battery and the bicycle, is just a few weeks old.

Their suggestion is to remove the battery from the sensor, PUT IT BACK IN BACKWARDS FOR 10 SEC, reinstall it correctly and try to pair again. Kids, kids, kids I am an electrical engineer and I do not trust other electrical engineers to design their products with reverse polarity protection. They should on battery powered equipment where the user can easily install the battery backwards but did they? Do you feel lucky today, punk?? I would never tell anyone to put a battery in backwards unless it clearly says to do that in the owner's manual for the equipment. So, I must reject this suggestion but I will take the sensor off the bike so that I can get to the battery compartment, remove the battery for a few minutes, replace it with a fresh battery, and try it again. Reversing the battery on a product that has reverse polarity protection will do nothing because the reverse polarity protection is there specifically to prevent that from doing anything. Reversing the battery on a non protected product may, of course, damage or destroy it. I don't get the advice to reverse the battery at all. But removing the battery for a few minutes will guarantee that the sensor does a full power on reset when it comes back up and a fresh battery will guarantee that my present battery has not drained during the four/five weeks it has been in use. As if....

They also suggested that I try to pair it with the GSC-10 sensor on my other bike. Their literature clearly states that the PP will not work with the GSC-10 but they say I should try it anyway because, you know, it might work! Curious .... but easy enough to try.

So I have three things I can try tonight. If any of them work, great. If not I can report back to Velocomp and see if there is anything else they can or will do. If not then back to the dealer the PP goes! My plan is to try the suggestions in the order of easiness:

1) sierrabob's suggestion to move the PP close to the sensor
2) try to pair to the GSC-10 sensor
3) replace the battery

Thanks for listening and making suggestions.