Old 11-23-17, 03:13 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flounce
Thanks, can you explain further regarding why an aero road bike set up with aero bars for Tri position is better for my needs than just getting a tri/TT bike?
I spent a long time trying to decide between an aero road bike with aero bars (Specialized Venge) and a TT bike (Trek Speed Concept). I use the bike for triathlons and I ended up going for the speed concept, but you see some very fast triathletes that use aero road bikes. All professionals that I know use TT bikes, but I know people who have qualified to the IM World Championship using road bikes.

I think the seat post angle difference is overrated. With the right frame, you might be able to push forward the seat of an aero road bike enough to replicate the seat post angle you would get with a TT bike. So, IMO, that is not going to make a huge difference if you get a good fitting.

Some things that do make a difference:

- TT frames are more aerodynamic than road frames

- On a road bike you'll have more versatility, just because you can ride on the drops, the tops, or the hoods

- There are no TT bikes with disc brakes (there is one from Cervelo, but it is really expensive)

- Depending on the model there might be significant differences in stiffness and weight

- Some TT frames are not UCI legal if that matters to you

If you are really in an N+1 situation where N is really large, I would get the TT bike. It will be fun to ride something different.