Old 11-28-17, 02:23 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
The speed difference will be EXTREMELY dependent upon how good your fitting is for the TT bike. There is no way to overstate the importance of a good fit.

I was accustomed to racing up to 8 hours at a stretch while in the drops on a road bike. Last year, my relay tri teams won two of two overalls while I was riding the road bike -- but I was passed by a few who rode dedicated TT/Tri bikes. That's when I decided to look for something different.

Aero bars -- I never got more than .5 mph benefit compared to riding the same bike in the drops. I suspect you COULD do better, but my positioning on the aero bars was never as powerful or as aero as I would have liked. Aero bars were a non-starter for me.

TT/Tri Bike -- I tried a few bikes and ended up with a BMC TimeMachine02. The biggest difference between it and other TT/Tri bikes was fitting/positioning. With my current fit, I can put out very close to the same power on the TT/Tri bike as I can on the road bike. This is a huge deal. It was true of NO other TT/Tri bike I tried. Coupled with that, my aero positioning allows me to average between 2 and 2.5 mph faster on the TT/Tri bike than on my road bike in the drops. The bike flies. (Granted that the bike itself is more aero and I'm riding Jet Black Plus 6 / Jet Black Disc wheels for a little extra help.)

I'm confident the new bike will help me win a few more relay tri's next year. It's a LOT faster. And, for Strava users. . . when the segments are flattish, the bike is a KOM machine.