Old 08-02-19, 08:40 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 108 Posts
Bar and brake lever position?

Is there any kind of reference to setting drop bar and brake lever positions?

I'm new to drop bar bikes. Although I've biked all my adult life, it's mostly been on mountain bikes. I bought a road bike about 3 months ago, and just now bought another. My bikes have always been for running errands, light grocery shopping, occasional commuting, and recreational riding with my family. Until a couple months ago, I doubt I had ever ridden further than 4 miles at a time. Lately I've been riding 8 miles regularly, on a MUP. I've tried a couple very short rides on rural highway, but yesterday I did my first longer ride. I rode 20 miles yesterday, all on rural highway.

My goal with road biking is to eventually tour long distance, that's what I'm working towards. Now that I have 2 road bikes I can set them up differently, one for around town, one for the highway. My "highway" bike is a work in progress and not yet road ready. So yesterday I rode my around town bike, a 2012 Jamis Satellite Sport. It is set up for a more upright riding position, which has been perfect around town. The stem is flipped to angle up, and my bars are somewhat angled up also, set up so that I ride mostly on the hoods. On the long, flat highway yesterday I wanted to be on the drops, and it was not comfortable, and the brakes were hard to reach.

So I guess there is no in between position? Should I work on changing my riding position so both my bikes can be setup the same, or does it matter?

Thanks!