View Single Post
Old 09-09-19, 08:55 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Instead of starting a new topic, I'll add my intro to racing.

I think for both CX and gravel I'm way way off base for pressures. I ran 40psi on Sunday's race and felt like I was bouncing all over the place. I weigh 155 lbs. It's a normal narrower width wheelset with tubes.

I also think I was running way way too little tire tread. I bought a tire set a while back when I bought the bike used to serve me as a gravel tire. I have to ride greenway to/from the gravel, so hence the choice.

It's a Tracer in a 33mm. Looking around, I was certainly in the lesser tread on the tire camp. And since I'm new to this, probably not a good thing. I probably need more tire size and more tread.

I'm also guessing that 40psi was super bouncy and slow for my weight.

I have a meter on my roadie, maybe I'll do a little testing to get some numbers for my tire pressures on "easy ride" days. Ride a section in the same gear same cadence/speed and lower the tire pressure each time around.
For CX, straight line rolling resistance doesnt matter that much, doubly so if youre new. You'll loose more time each corner from too high of pressure compared to the losses due to RR. A crash or even a bobble will erase any time gained from higher pressure. If tubeless you should noy be any higher than 30psi. Even with tubes you should start at that pressure and see if you get lunch flats, preferablu during practices. Im running sub 28psi at all times in all conditions at 180lbs on tubeless and tubular.
Likes For redlude97: