Old 06-05-20, 03:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by stilllearning
I enjoy reading about everyone's rides, especially the climbs. Going to try going up Baldy road to the village for the first time next week. Have done GRR to Baldy a few times, went to Icehouse last week as prep. Anyways, your Olympic looks really sharp! I had one as a teenager, but it wasn't anything close to what you've done. I don't mean to hijack this thread in to a big discussion about your build, but was wondering if you would mind listing what gearing and wheelset you used. I'm considering upgrading the rear of my Ironman to a cassette, currently have a 7 speed 14-28 freewheel, so I'm curious how easy it was to get yours to fit. I also need to decide if it's too expensive for me to do this, as your components look very nice. I'll continue to research the Classic and Vintage forum for ideas, but your bike looked too good to pass up the opportunity to ask about the build.
heading into the baldy area, you’ll want a 30 or 32 as a bailout gear if you can integrate it into your current setup. might entail purchasing a long cage front derailleur if you’re not already rocking one. potential $150-$200 investment all told for a suitable cassette and long cage front der will be invaluable when you inevitably hit that mountain wall.

private messaged you about the 1988 nishiki olympic build.