View Single Post
Old 10-14-04, 03:14 PM
witcomb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi. i'm 62 and a half. i now own a witcomb touring bike i had made for me 30+ years ago, a racing gt3000 which i ride seldomly, a waterford 1900 touring, a specialized langster track one speed set up for road, an old raleigh supercourse which i've fixed up as a fixed wheel and rode it to work almost every day for 33 years, a cannondale f1000 which i ride seldomly,a cannondale t800 and i have just got my former wife's woodrup, which i had built for her 30 + years ago. i had a jack taylor super tourist bike, but it was stolen. i also had two tandems with kiddy cranks, built for me by jack taylor 30 + years ago. i started taking glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate when i hurt my knee and have continued after it's healed,i have slowed over the years in the respect that i usually ride days of 40 to 60 miles, while i used to average more like 60 to 80. on the other hand, when i was working i averaged around 3500 miles a year and i still do, or actually a bit more than that. i go out every other day and spend the whole day riding, stopping for lunch and coffee. i did 1000 miles of cycle camping last summer. i would like to go for another tour of england, since the last of our three tours of england, 1500 miles each time, once carrying a baby, was in the 70s, but having had a heart attack 7 years ago and having half of my heart still plugged, since our medical system has gone to the dogs here in b.c., canada, they were willing to give me an angioplasty on only half of my heart, i am on a low fat diet, which basically means chicken or turkey breast, veggies, and pasta or potato, and i am afraid of not being able to find low fat food in england. when there last, someone told me that the english think of food like gas for a car, you need it but it doesn't have to taste good! i have just rejoined the english ctc and may even get back there next spring. incidentally, as a concession to my age, my bikes have a small chainring of either 20 or 22, and i use them often when i go up hills. cycling has got me healthy again after my heart attack, which happened partly because i had stopped cycling, i believe, as well because i had been living with a very high-strung lady. each stress test that i have taken since my angioplasty, i have been in better shape and i am not in the highest category for my age, and my resting heart rate is 45. cycling has been my greatest enjoyment and my life-saver! this, after a nurse had told me that my life was utterly changed and i would never cycle again, when i had had my heart attack. so even though part of my heart is dead, the rest is very alive!