Old 09-14-20, 10:10 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the input, All. I appreciate all the mounting position thoughts.

Originally Posted by IPassGas
We tour long distance and like the pump (non-batt version) much. The foot peg can break easily, but not essential. We no longer ride with pump on frame, gets too dirty no matter where it is on frame. Important to have a good working pump when in the middle of nowhere. I think dust/dirt causes the seals/o-rings to degrade faster which is likely exacerbated by heat when pumping.
Very very valuable input. The pump getting dirty was my concern (in the lower down tube mount as in the pictures) but the reliability and degradation of the pump is a matter on another level.

The pump I had since the bike was new (still have it, still works) is a Bontrager combo hand pump + CO2. It is quite dirty from being in that location. I have had the occasion to use it to repair a flat - and that is the main reason why I went looking for another pump (and the reason why I've been known to tag along my floor pump from time to time). Does the small one work? It does. It gets a tire to hold air to ride. Is it easy to use? Absolutely not. First off is getting the pump to hold pressure. The body screws together and if you don't understand the pump design and know that (like I did when I went to use it on my flat) the pump will only get to very limited pressure without re-tightening the parts. After that it is a tube stem mounted pump and works about as difficult as you would expect - PITA. The Turbo Morph Digital is a ton better, from that standpoint.

For most of my day trips getting the pump in a pannier is OK. For longer trips where I am pinching space that might be a bigger challenge. I'll consider the options and see where it goes depending on the ride I suppose.