Old 02-11-21, 04:04 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Sailor17
OK well I am either on something good or not. Not really sure. (My ignorance or lack of expertise. I am a newbie, Trust me please). I can add additional close up pictures of what might help determine price as a whole bike or broken down to part out. Let me know what I should take a picture of. ..francophile and now others are a great help, but I am not truly sure of what to take pictures of. Will take closer and better pictures of what you need to see (learning for me). Thanks all. As for location I am in southern Louisiana. Just 30 minutes from New Orleans. N'Awleans.
I was born in Jefferson Parish while dad was at Belle Chasse. Still generally familiar with the area, though I haven't been back much since Katrina hit. I suspected you may've been close when I saw your Viner. Gut feeling.

Note: You hit 11 photos, so now you can upload pics directly into your posts.

As for how to photograph a bike ... there are two reasons to photograph a bike: For artistic purposes [or] to evaluate details for showing off, appraisal, or identification/dating.

For artistic photo purposes, this is a good thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...raph-bike.html

For the every other purpose, other than getting a GOOD full picture of the drive (crank) side of the bike and a good one of the non-drive (opposite) side of the bike, here's the things I normally want a clear picture of:
  • The crankset and front derailleur, hopefully with a clear shot of the pedals (or shoot pedals separate)
  • The rear derailleur
  • Any decals on the bike, including the one on the front/head tube
  • Any stampings, serial numbers, or etchings on the frame or parts - especially under the bike, where the serial# and sizing info often is
  • The hubs and any labels on the rims
  • Front and rear brake calipers and their levers
  • The "seat cluster", which is the area the seat post goes into the bike, this is a "signature" area, the way it's finished and kept up says a lot
  • The ends of the forks and the dropout - i.e. the two spots the wheel axles sit into the frame
Even if you only did the following spots I've circle, it would be good - but beyond that I'm also including the stuff I typically shoot for bikes when I list them on eBay.

And here's an example of one of the albums from an eBay auction from a couple years ago, so you can see some samples of what *I* personally prefer to see when I'm assessing a bike. I mean, I'd like more than this, but eBay limits you to 20 pics so sometimes you gotta edit. (FYI: Forum only allows 1o pictures per reply).

EDIT: I think I screwed up and grabbed the wrong folder. There's maybe some duplicates here, and I have way too many pics of the head tube area.