genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I was rather confused by the picture and how these intersections are supposed to work. Then I read the article. That's, without a doubt, the dumbest thing every conceived! It's the "wait-cross-wait-cross" method of left turn and it's just plain dumb. Protected lanes aren't anything to crow about either, especially the way in which all cyclists are confined to the ghetto of that lane which is usually poorly maintained and/or far too narrow. But making us do "wait-cross-wait-cross" is adding insult to injury.

Frankly, I like the idea that the bike lane disappears at the intersection. If I'm going straight through, I just ride straight through. If I'm turning right, I turn right. If I'm turning left, I merge over into the left turn lane, get in line and turn left. Protected lanes force me to either merge with traffic a block early...and suffer the slings and arrows...or do the fraidy cat "wait-cross-wait-cross". It ain't progress. It's going backwards.
Frankly, in slower inner city traffic... I tend to agree with you... seems there is a lot of effort trying to fix "low hanging fruit..."

Outside the slow city core, work needs to be done. And of course, keeping the city core low speed is the key to safer pedestrian and cycle interactions with motorists.