View Single Post
Old 06-24-20, 10:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
The Mount Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb

7.6 miles, average grade of 12%, an extended section about 2/3 of the way up at ~18% and hits 22% just before the finish line.
There isn't anywhere to recover, it doesn't get below ~6%-8%.
You're also exposed & above the treeline with unpredictable weather for a significant portion of the climb, high winds/fog etc are common.

But the finish is incredible, it's just like the end of steep mountain stages in the TdF, except that the people screaming & cheering you on are friends & family.
Oh, and the turkey dinner at the post-race ceremony is awesome.
Too bad that it was cancelled this year.
I missed the post race dinner. I recall a something to drink and a few munchies, but nothing would ride the mountain for. Did I climb so fast I got there early? (1978)

The finish was the transition from the 22% to flat, Almost as abrupt as the transition from a staircase to the landing. I was completely anaerobic and spaced. In post finish line mode. Keep pedaling! Don't stop until I have to. Good thing was my gear was tiny! I had a crowd grabbing me and the bike to stop me before I ran out of parking lot! They lifted me off the bike, then walked me inside. I had no idea the temp was in the 20s F.

Ben