Old 06-07-20, 12:50 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
There have been thousands of posts in hundreds of threads regarding "stoves for touring" here over the years. You can read most of them by googling this site specific search: "stove site:bikeforums.net" <---- simply copy and paste to google, leaving out the quotation marks. I use this method to find my old posts, with keywords "seeker333 keyword2" (after I gave up on this website's search function in 2004).

Regarding stoves, there are many new-to-me stoves that have come out in the past 10-15 years that I have not tried. However, I can personally vouch for the MSR Whisperlite International for a multi-fuel stove (it's relatively heavy and large but you'll never have trouble finding fuel), the Snow Peak Gigapower (lightweight,compact and super easy to use, but fuel cartridges may be expensive and hard to find locally, i.e. characteristics of all cartridge stoves), and the Trangia Mini (minimalist, ethanol easier to find than cartridges, performance highly dependent upon windscreen/potstand and wind strength, use restricted in Western USA as Doug wrote).

For the risk-taking frugal tourist, there are several inexpensive clones of popular cartridge and multifuel stoves to be found on Amazon. Also, ethanol stoves can be made from leftover steel and aluminum cans with common hand tools, although the Trangia Mini is absolutely worth 15 bucks. If you feel the need to be creative, put that energy into a homemade windscreen/potstand, as this is as important to overall stove performance as the stove itself. I made my Trangia windscreen from scrap aluminum found in the trash pile at a nearby home under construction, discovered on a daily walk around the neighborhood.