Old 10-27-20, 12:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
I've avoided hoarding, mostly just stocking up as needed on what I'd realistically use within a year or so: tubes, chains, tires.

If necessary I can semi-retire worn tires and chains by handing them down to my least-used bikes. I have a closet full of worn but still usable tires. And I always patch tubes, even for my road bikes.

The closest I've come to hoarding was buying a few Shimano BB-UN55 bottom brackets and a couple of 9-speed chains from REI when the priced dropped to $8 this summer. I figured they were blowing them out as discontinued items. But I didn't buy up everything off the shelf, just three of the BBs and a couple of chains. I left several and those were gone within a week or two.

The supply chain was disrupted in some manufacturing and shipping, and some shortages may continue, but I'm not seeing a drastic shortage of components and parts. There does seem to be a shortage of complete bicycles.

I never ran out of anything during the first few months of the pandemic. I worked in health care so I already had a box of surgical masks, hand sanitizer, etc. And I got into the habit of buying toilet paper in bulk, taking care of my grandparents and mom as their health declined. They used *a lot* of TP, and not in the bathroom. They used it as napkins, nose wipes, etc. My mom could go through a roll of TP every day. With her dementia it wasn't important enough to fuss over so I just let her use as much as she wanted and bought plenty in advance. Even after she died, I'd still buy a bulk pack that would last me 6-12 months (or one month for her).

I read dire predictions about food prices, especially beef, but locally I haven't seen any evidence of inflation. Beef is pretty pricey, especially steak, but I noticed that by shopping late at night I'd find decent quality steaks discounted 50% or more, so I would buy several of those at a time and dry or wet age them in the fridge. Usually salt and season them, dry age them for a week, then put 'em in ziplock bags for another week to a full month. Worked great. (I wouldn't do that with pork, chicken, hamburger, fish, or pretty much anything other than steak or game meat such as rabbits, etc.)