View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 02:21 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
On the other hand.....when I'm in my "cage" I've seen my share of dumba$$/irresponsible cyclists who don't obey the rules of the road. eg. running stop signs/lights, cutting across lanes diagonally, jumping on/off sidewalks, etc., etc.

I can see why non-cycling Cagers don't give a ratz re cyclists. That said it doesn't make it OK that the safety of others should be ignored.....
Seriously? Since when do vehicle statutes concern themselves with how cyclists treat curbs? Etc. etc.? Running red lights/stop signs is all you've got and on another forum there is a rapidly growing thread about a motorist that blew a stoplight, hit another motorist who was speeding through the intersection, who then spun and killed a cyclist that was waiting for the light to change. I can't tell you that in almost a half century of vehicular cycling I've ever heard of a scofflaw cyclist causing that much damage from their actions. There are intersections around here where on EVERY light cycle one or two cagers are blasting through the fresh red because they don't want to wait through another complete cycle. I don't see any cyclists doing that. And there are plenty of cyclists here.

In NYC there have been a spate of cyclist fatalities, and the morning host Brian Lehrer of their local call- in show tries to get guests on from the Advocacy Community to speak to whats going on and invites cyclists to have their say but the phone lines get clogged with drivers that want to talk about cyclists running lights. Some try to fool the screeners by claiming to be cyclists (like you) and then launch into Cagerbabble and its so sadly ironic because any cager without half trying will cook more red lights in a year than the average cyclist will in a lifetime. Portland cyclists are absolute SAINTS from my perspective as an ex-NY'er where bikes running reds is as natural as eating and drinking. The motorists here still talk about "those cyclists". SMH. If only they knew. None of the 18 cyclists killed in NYC this year were killed while running through a red light. Just thought I'd put that out there ...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 08-13-19 at 02:26 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm: