Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
A better question would be: "How much should I spend to impress others?"

I really get the impression that if you are asking the question, about top tier offerings, then you don't have any idea what the other offerings even have to offer. It's a lot like asking: "Hey guys, is Dura-Ace right for me?" How should we know? If you, yourself don't even have a point of reference to appreciate the nth degree of refinement.

Recently somebody was so into the ultra-refined wowzers of scotch that they paid over a million dollars at a fancy auction. It's a shame really, because to anyone it's shared with, it'll still just be really old scotch.

FWIW: I'm not a fan of SRAM. Your money would be better spent anywhere else.

You don't need to spend $5000 for a quality bike. In fact with all of modern manufacturing & the ever present rat-race, it's actually kind of hard to buy junk nowadays. If you don't know a fancy uber wonder bike will make you faster or how much it'll do so, then it's supposed benefits will be wasted.

Check craigslist for all the 1 or 2 year-old mega ultra bikes at half price. I gaurentee you'll find something there that'll make you just as happy.
So..........don't own a Corvette since you don't know how to drive it at its limits, don't get any splurges in life, be an angry old hermit on your front porch. Got it. Because almost nobody going out and buying $100k sports cars or $150k luxury cars know anything about the cars beyond "pretty, alum trim, leather, sounds cool, feels 'fast' to them".