Old 05-31-13, 10:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
GPS with sealed internal rechargable batteries can be made to work - get an external charger (USB output to GPS) that uses AA batteries. Usually marketed to recharge cell phones. You can make one if you have basic soldering skills or know someone with same - look for "MintyBoost". (Kits also from ThinkGeek, Adafruit, and a few other vendors. ~ $20.00)
I got one of those, I was really surprised how hot the batteries got. I was using rechargeable AA batteries, I have heard that the disposable batteries get even hotter. I did not get much power out of it before I decided to shut it off. I think those are good for emergency only.

Originally Posted by jbphilly
If you had a tablet computer and internet connectivity (or, perhaps, a good map saved on your tablet/laptop) that might approach the ease of use of a paper map. For me, though, you can't really rival the ability to quickly look over large distances that a good paper map offers.
I recently bought a smartphone with the intention of using the GPS mapping capability on it as a backup. I planned to still use my vintage Garmin recreational grade GPS that is so old that it is black and white screen. I can say that in USA that the Android app MapsWithMe has very good free maps that will work off-line on a smartphone. But my phone with GPS turned on burns thru the battery pretty fast and the screen is not very easy to read on a sunny day. I will continue to use my Garmin as my primary GPS, the phone only as a backup.

And, if you are depending on electronics, you can be most certain that they will fail at the worst time, bring a paper map and compass.