Old 04-03-20, 02:49 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
What I find very interesting on the red bike is the seat tube waterbottle bosses, these were uncommon back then, Brian and or Mike set them interestingly low on the seat tube, pushes the downtube a bit higher but easier to reach. Geometry looks in the Masi Gran Criterium ballpark.
I was thinking the geo looked like a Gran Criterium too. Of course that is where they learned so it makes sense. I just stuck my 72 Italian Masi on my fixture to see check its geometry and it had a 72.5º seat tube with a 73º head. The top tube sloped about 1º up to the head tube. The water bottle bosses on the Wizard look like an even distance from the BB shell so the seat tube ones don't look low to me. I wouldn't be surprised that Brian repainted it sometime in its life and might have added a 2nd pair at that time.

I can always remember when Brian died because my framebuilding protege Herbie Helm was visiting his brother at the same time as the 2016 Olympic marathon trials in SoCal. I told Herbie he had to visit my buddy Brian while he was out there. It would be very educational. So he did and called me the next day. I asked how is Brian? Herbie said he looked terrible but we didn't understand how terrible until we heard about the end a day or so later. One time Brian told me he almost went into a monastery to live but unfortunately I never got to ask him more about that.