Jscotty215
TOW Gunner

Bikes: Masi Gran Corsa, Schwinn Varsity, Trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Evening crash on daily commute

I'm new to commuting and took it up with the beginning of COVID in March of this year. I live in Southern Connecticut and commute to and from my worksite, about 20 miles round trip, 3-4 commutes a week. I've put down about 1400 miles this year and it wasn't until this last Tuesday night when I took a head-over-heels crash.

[Details: crash took place during evening hours right after sunset, on a busy road, was adjusting headlights from flashing to highbeams, occurred on the shoulder, was able to continue home, rims are ruined, oddly no flats through.]

It really, really sucked and I'm still shook up from it, but I didn't break any bones or get run over or hit by a car. I've taken a lot of safety precautions since commuting: placing reflectors on body and bike, very bright headlights and taillights, heavy duty gloves, always a helmet of course. Needless to say I'm still in a lot of pain and I don't even know what the hell I hit (mega pot hole, chucks of asphalt???). Aside from describing my incident, is there anyone here who calls it quits at a certain point of the year regarding commuting and the amount of daylight available? I might stick to weekend riding in daytime hours until March when sunset times are much later than 4:25. I don't mean to write on and on but this really freaked me out and I hate to part with my daily rides until another four months. I got into this for the health aspect and thrill of riding a bike again and I'm hooked, I enjoy being so invigorated when I get to work and home and losing some weight and keeping my cardio up.
Thank you for any suggestions and remarks.
Scott from Connecticut

Last edited by Jscotty215; 11-27-20 at 06:48 PM. Reason: More clarification to details of crash