View Single Post
Old 12-11-20, 04:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
I had my stupidest fall from distraction a few years ago. Had to replace a helmet after it. I was looking straight down, riding uphill slowly, hit a hole, went down.
Routing is perhaps the most important choice we make in commuting. As you grow stronger you may like that alternate route you described a lot better than the one on which you fell.
And, wow, commuting on tubulars? Wow.
I commuted for most of two decades on tubulars. Pluses - there are situations where they are safer. Hitting deep potholes - tire is very likely to survive inflated and get you home, even with deep indents in the rim. Flats in shady neighborhoods - you can be going again in 5 minutes. How the flat happened doesn't matter. Rain, snow, darkness, tired, inebriated; non of that prevents a fast change. (You may be riding a very crooked tire but again, it will get you home.)

I'm going back to tubulars as I wear out my current rims. I've had a clincher come off. I never want to do that crash again. I've had full blowouts at 40+ MPH on tubulars and just braked to a stop and changed it, NBD.