Old 02-13-21, 07:14 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Steel bikes were effectively gone from bike shops from the early 2000s until recently. Even now, people frequently post on Bike Forums about how the only adult bikes they can find in their local bike shops are either aluminum or carbon fiber. For the most part, it's only in large cities with neo-hipster neighborhoods that you'll find a significant presence of steel bikes. A lot of us on Bike Forums are old and grew up riding very nice steel bikes, but most of us prefer the originals from the 1960s through the 1980s and have little interest in buying new steel bikes.
I'm not sure how anyone would know if there is a "significant presence" of steel bikes in large cities that's any larger than at my club for instance. And, if any of that has anything to do with "neo-hipsters" (whatever that means). I am one of those old guys (soon to be 75) who grew up with steel bikes like a Bianchi Squadra and MAZA Prestige. I wish I had them back. But, my current GURU Sidero is a much better bike and weighs about 17 1/2 lbs. If I didn't have my GURU and was going to buy a steel bike it wouldn't be an old one. But, that's just me. I have no idea what "most of us" would do.