View Single Post
Old 02-17-21, 01:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have seen and touched a couple of Wright Bros steel bikes. they are now around 120 years old. Put a set of tires on it and off you would go. Do you honestly think that you could do that in 120 years with a CF bike built today. I say it would be so brittle it would shatter in a thousand pieces when someone tried to get on.

I offer this analogy. I help friends work on old cars. The plastic electrical plug are extremely brittle and prone to breakage. Remember the lions part of the weight in a CF bike is plastic.
You seem to think all plastics react the same to time and environment. Fact: They don't.

Based on your opinions and conclusions, there's no way a 50+ year-old plastic-handled screwdriver should still be unusable. Yet, I have a bunch of them that I continue to use on a regular basis, and they show no signs of failure any time in the foreseeable future. In fact, I recently used one as a kind of chisel, and hit the end of the handle hard with a framing hammer multiple times. You might be shocked to hear that the handle didn't shatter on impact. Sorry, man. Your plastic analogy fails.

There is actually a current thread on BF that includes info about the ratio of CF fibers to resin/epoxy in a CF matrix for bicycle frames. Not surprisngly, the numbers don't match your guess. There's actually multiple bits of info in that thread that shoot holes in some of your other CF conclusions.

Again...You have zero idea what you're talking about. Please stop. You're only putting your own ignorance on display.