Old 01-14-14, 01:36 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
Great thread so far, though it is a bit sprinter oriented, of course.
Yes- we tend to be big and loud- and dominate most conversations… we can't help it

Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
So I'm curious what kind of weight training other enduros do. I definitely feel some benefit from it, but not enough to devote several months of time to an intermediate program. Ultimately, I'd like to see myself going to the gym twice a week now, and maybe once a week during the race season, with a few breaks in between. I think the lifts I should focus the most on are the squat and deadlift, with a few assistance exercises for balance. I've just no idea how to program them. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Yes- This^^^
as an athlete who is likely not genetically highly pre-disposed to big strength gains (unlike us fat sprinters) the best plan is to do a block of weight training 3x a week, probably when bike intensity is down (during base). You will make your biggest strength gains in that block.. as bike intensity rises- drop to 2 days.. you will still be able to make gym progress, but it will slow.. then in race season(or before) cut to 1 day a week for strength maintenance… cut weights entirely when you taper for "A" races..

IMHO-
the beginner program in starting strength is perfect for this..
*when you are lifting 3x a week do the normal alternating A/B day- even include the Bench and Press..
*when you cut to 2x a week, just do an A and a B- and most cyclist drop the bench and probably the press as well, even though it does have some benefits for cyclist..
*When you cut to 1x a week, you can potentially alternate Power Clean and Dead Lift every other week.. to keep fatigue down..