View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 08:36 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
I have an interview for a job in Norfolk, VA and I'm wandering how is the cycling in this area?
Thanks in advance!
This information is 30 years old so hopefully someone will chime in with more recent information. If you ride around the Norfolk and Virginia Beach it's a lot of wiggling around on meandering roads in housing developments trying to get somewhere while avoiding heavy traffic on arterial routes. But frequently you'll be on an arterial route because it's the only bridge over a river or inlet. If you're in a hurry you'll stay on the arterial road.

But there are lots of interesting nooks and cranies to explore. On a nice day I would go from Larchmont to Pungo in the Southeast corner. With a car you can start a ride further out into the countryside such as Suffolk. The countryside is oddly empty out there. There is a time of year where cycling near the Great Dismal Swamp will introduce you to some very fearsome insects.

Develop another activity that involves water because it's everywhere. Like sailing or windsurfing. There are not a lot of waves so you'll need a sail on that surfboard.