Old 09-28-20, 11:15 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
What got you into cycling?
At about age 5, we moved to a place with lots of open fields and country beyond the half-dozen streets around our neighborhood. So, to get anywhere, even from one side of the small town to the other, it was easiest for a kid to be on wheels. By age 7, I was allowed to head into/across the fields all day long, so long as I was with friends and back by dark. (My, how times have changed.)

So, got "the bug" back then, I suppose. After a few years, I realized I could use my father's garage tools and a bit of creativity to build my own "cruiser" bike from scratch. (Well, didn't do the wheelset lacing, and had to pay a local shop to do a servicing on the headset and BB.) I scrounged around for discarded parts that could work, did all the repainting and wrenching myself. Lots of old bikes got left at "the dumpster" in those days. Looked like a sad and sorry case, I guess, but it was all mine. Heavy pig of a bike, I suppose, Don't recall whether it was Hi-Ten steel, but I'm assuming so. Was the perfect little project for a tyke to tackle. Didn't cost much, all things considered, which I earned doing lawns and general clean-up. Taught me basic wrenching; was my own fault if something went wrong; and, it taught me the responsibility and pride of having done it myself.

Haven't had a great number of bikes, over the years, but I've always had one or two. And have done most of the parts swaps and much of the common maintenance myself.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 09-29-20 at 08:01 AM.