Old 12-02-20, 09:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Just out of curiosity, how do the shocks handle salt? It looks like there are rubber boots around the stanchions. Is that the case?
The thread is about ice and handling it - so I'll start by saying that I've used both Continental Top Contact Winter (non-studded) and Nokian Mount and Ground (studded) - Never took a fall on either set if tires. Conti are fast rolling and better on a wider range of conditions, but require more caution on bare ice; the Nokian were totally sure footed, but slow rolling. My last set up before retiring this bike was Nokian on front wheel and Conti on rear - best of both works with studs for control for braking & steering up front and fast rolling where most of the weight goes in the rear.

About shocks in winter: Long story (with pics) of my old 26er winter commuter and shocks.

First pic is the Nail Trail with stock fork, it froze up on me after 3 full winters of Minnesota road salt.

Second pic is with a Surly Troll fork ... I really loved the look and set up for winter commuting.

Third pic is the massive crack in the BB that retired this bike back in 2015 (AL frame).