View Single Post
Old 12-06-20, 02:35 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how the Torpado turns out! That should be a good candidate to paint with a brush because you won't have to worry about so much busy masking work that it would require if sprayed.
Torpado lugs are a pain to mask, this set being done the old way, with masking tape and lots of frustration...

"Busy masking"? No problem anymore. For the more intricate masking requirements, liquid masking material is the easiest way to go. This little bottle set me back $30.00 CND but will go a long way and the results are worth the expense...

And the results are pretty good, not professional good, but pretty darn (masked by an old guy with poor eyesight and shaky hands - a month or so ago)...

Are you going to tint the paint at all or paint straight Rustoleim Sunburst Yellow?
I am going with the original stock Rustoleum color, which is remarkably close to the original Torpado color. "As found" the Torpado's yellow had faded and discolored. Once sanding started, the much brighter yellow color made itself known. So no need or desire to mix paint. The two colors selected are for a "two tone" paint job, with the bulk being bright yellow. The off white, called Recitational white, is for the head tube and probably fenders (not sure about fender color choice yet - but yellow or off white will be the only choices for now).

More to follow but need a week or two to get the old lady painted. The art should be here in two to sixteen or seventeen weeks (postal systems are challenged these days - still waiting for two items to arrive). I will keep y'all posted. And, for what it is worth, this is the second yellow Torpado to come my way. You would all take a giant dump if you knew how much this old yellow Italian entry level steed sold for...