Old 12-30-20, 07:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
For me it's not foolproof. And that is why I prefer to make a $4.00 new tube my first choice.
$4 tube? You must lead a blessed life, at least as it applies to flats. The last generic tubes I bought were $7; brand name tubes are more.

FWIW, I've had a few new, never flatted, tubes, split down a seam. Because of that, I'm more confident in previously patched tubes. Like @andrewclaus, I think, I keep spare tubes in an old sock to prevent rubbing a hole in the stored tube.

And like Racing Dan I don't see much difference between glues. (I'm still working on a box of 100 Rema patches, although I may have to buy another box next year.) IME the difference between stick and don't stick is surface preparation. I've done a couple rush jobs with Rema patches and glue that failed, so there's nothing magic about Rema's chemistry if the mold release isn't sanded or grated off the site patch. Also FWIW, same is true of other glues as well. So sand, change direction, sand some more, and make sure there's nothing shiny where the patch will seal before moving on to gluing.