Old 01-19-21, 05:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I'm not trying to restore it, just put it back the way it should be.

From the Cambridge dictionary. Restoration: the act or process of returning something to its earlier good condition or position...

Whether or not it becomes my daily rider or not, I'll likely have to keep it till I die.

Just wait till you stumble across a nicer, pristine example. It's like a new love affair.

I've been searching the web for pics and other's descriptions of various Dunelt bikes, it looks to me like the last year for the Birmingham style forks was 1963, in 1964 the forks change to the type with the flat chrome cap, and the frame looses the pump pegs as well. The Raleigh chainguard, (hockey stick style) seems to start with 1960.

Don't assume anything from what you find or see on the internet. Raleigh had a huge international market and sold different equipment on the same bikes to each market. I've seen Dunelts of the same year with Birmingham forks and D thimbles. SA hub dates are vague since they made huge inventories and we've seen many hubs with nonsensical dates, ie 14 - 61

I see quite a few with a 3 speed and coaster brake hub, but no single speed coaster brake bikes. I did see a few older single speed freewheel bikes but those looked older with the wide cg and different decals.

Same as above. Wait till you stumble across some Malaysian bikes and see what they're kitted out with. I had a 70's Raleigh with a single freewheel and rod brakes. It was a Sports, not a DL-1 or Tourist.