Old 06-18-19, 08:13 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
And - you do have to remove the battery
bag and take it with you (something an earlier poster didn't like about removing the 1M from the bike). It's all a matter of what you want and need.
I am not into electric bikes, but I had to take care of an electric folding bike for a friend who was trying to fly with such a bike and was banned from taking it on the plane due to too high battery capacity. The battery cells were stashed inside the main tube and my solution was to pull them out, separate into cells and give a few to different people who were later traveling down the same route. It worked but in the end these were industry standard cells that you can buy left and right from different suppliers. I have such cells on my regular non-electric bike, used there to balance power production and supply with a dynamo producing the original power. Yes lithium batteries are more expensive than other technologies, but at some point their theft may be compared to stealing AA batteries. When the batteries are additionally in some proprietary packaging, what the heck are you going to do with them after the theft? I know that some people will steal no matter what and think only afterwards.