Old 07-21-19, 02:31 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Today I rode with 72 psi front and 83psi rear on my 25 mm Challenge tires. Nice comfort on our local mixed roads.

The Challenge Criterium open tubular clinchers with Vittoria latex tubes have exceeded my expectations.

All 3 of my weekend riding buddies are riding Continental Gatorskins in 700 x 25 with butyl tubes @ 100 psi or greater. They all have the current wider carbon road clinchers (2 have disc, one have rim brakes). I think they are missing out on a hidden secret and they are operating on an old notion placing avoidance of flats over lightweight/better grip/lower rolling resistance.

I was trying to drop a hint that my lightweight, low pressure setup with my aluminum A23 rims was applicable to their high volume, lightweight carbon clincher wheels. I suggested that the carbon rims they were all riding would be extra sweet with latex tubes, open tubulars and lower pressures. The guys listened - a little. I decided to drop it. The mention of having to monitor tire pressures and pump before each ride (due to the porous nature of the latex tubes) was a deal breaker for at least one of the guys.