jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
to John O'Brien

Hi John,
I've been meaning to get back to you on this for ages.
You must have the seen the bike on trademe? Yes, I had it listed. Loads of views and watchers, no bidders. I had the price set real high because...well...because in my heart I didn't really want to sell it.
Your dad built very good bikes!
My O'Brien fits me perfectly, is in VERY good nick, and is made from highly exotic Reynold 753. These are all big ticks.
The downside is it's not a comfortable ride. Partly the short seat stays, partly the fork rake (maybe, haven't ever checked it), but it rides hard. Very fast and light, of course, But being lazy and old I prefer a frame that's a bit more forgiving.
But I still keep it as one of my four ready-to-ride bikes on the wall of the garage. It's in good company: a 1982 Pinarello Record, 1984 Peugeot PSV, and a 1976-ish powder blue Zeus Pro. The O'Brien is a very classy bike that isn't out of place in that kind of company. And a bike that gets compliments pretty much every time I ride it. No kidding.
So no, I can't sell it to you John. It was silly of me to ever try.
But.
If you'd like to have it for a while, to show your dad, ride, hang on the wall - whatever - give me a call or email. It's the least I can do. I can live without it for a month or two if I know it's somewhere safe.

Warm regards

Jeff Howell
021 380 882
jeff@morepork.co.nz