Old 01-14-20, 06:42 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm definitely making it up as I go. Right now I'm lifting at the gym whenever I am not sore (seems like 2-3 days recovery), doing form squats, leg press, low row (machine), lat pull down, form deadlift, abdominal. Bench, press, pushups, and some core when I'm at home, so I tend not to do it at the gym.

I have a track bike I bought 30 years ago and that'll go on the trainer as soon as I build a rear clincher for it (rim/spokes are on the way) - I plan on using that to figure out standing starts and seeing what kind of speed/power I can put down when limited to one gear. I'm lucky in that I live on a quiet flat bit of road that goes into a 10% grade, so initially I'll do my standing starts into that hill (I might even rig together a fake start stand). I'm putting together a modern bike that should be finalized in the next couple months (I have to figure out the bars and cranks).

On squat, due to long torso and short quads, I'm thinking high bar, feet under shoulders, break parallel. I have no training in free weights so I'm not going to do any purely technical moves (clean jerk etc). It'll be pure squats. I'll do form squats for now, work on bar moving vertically, get the mechanics down, very light weights, then increase weight.

Sprinter for sure. My FTP is pretty poor, 200-220w (220w = upgrade to Cat 2 in 2010, although I downgraded in 2011 to start a family). All but one of my results are through sprints or sprint efforts. On two SRMs I can repeat 1500w peak (1700w not very repeatable), and my best long road sprints were 1100w@19s. I'm rpm limited though, in terms of applying power, so one of my next steps is to do 0-150 rpm work. I raced track in 2009, every weekday I could do. I did a 3 km pursuit and I finished about 1 minute behind the winner. I won some races, keirin (with a moto), scratch, but they were all very low key.

I'm using others as benchmarks as I figure they'll be my competition, sort of. I want to be in the ballpark.

Check out these videos to help out your squat:

- Find Your Squat Stance for the Olympic Squat

- Foot Pressure & Knee Movement in the Squat

- Ankle Mobility for Squats & Olympic Weightlifting

- Squat with the Hips & Knees Together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk9hd9AhUR

I can't stress how important it is to get on a proper weight lifting program and not just "wing it". A lot of people I know swear by Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. You can find the book on sell, used, for around $10-20. I personally use Track Cycling Academy's weight lifting program. You shouldn't be afraid of Olympic Lifts. The Australian Cycling team practices them for a reason. There's a lot of different resources on learning the technique sand various drills you can practice. If you're ever interested in oly lifts, check out Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide For Athletes & Coaches. I purchased the book used for $20.00. Also, ****** has a great community for weightlifting. I hope some of this information helps you out.