Old 12-24-14, 04:34 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I have used lightweight road bikes to tour over the past 40 years, I wouldn't recommend it, even with a steel bike and 25mm tires. It can be done, I've done it, but it's a more enjoyable experience with a heavier bike and larger tires. You will have fewer problems and be more comfortable. If you do use the road bike, I'd suggest a trailer. Keep the extra weight off the bike, it really wasn't designed for that.

Marc
its fascinating how you can get such different opinions on a topic such as this. As most of us ride diff types of bikes, we all know that riding a lighter bike up hills is more enjoyable, well, easier anyway, and as for comfort, this really does depend on the bike and person. My dropbar bike, Tricross, is probably not that different in layout than the Roubaix, and is great riding all day, day after day. Sure, riding 25s or 28s (I ride 28s all the time) will be less cushy than 32s or 37s, but then the bike will be so much lighter it will have a very different feel to it.
As for trailers, imagine how much weight a trailer weighs, and if this fellow uses common sense in packing, its easy to not have more than 15-20lbs total extra weight on the bike--so I guess it depends on his own weight, but 15lbs of clothes wont make a real difference to spoke issues, but it sure will be fun to ride a bike that weights 35lbs lets say, including his 15lbs of clothes and whatnot.