Thread: Feeling my age
View Single Post
Old 07-13-19, 07:41 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jskita
I am currently 52 and ride less than 10 miles per day when I ride as a commuter and stay with 20 miles for recreational rides. I have never had any issues at all. Over the July 4th holiday I did 40 miles and I felt it.

My palms numbed and my butt was sore. I even cramped up during some minor uphills on my return ride. All this was about the 35 mile mark. I did take a nice rest in the middle.

I consider myself to be in good health, but I don't stretch or do any preparation prior to a ride. I didn't think 40 miles should have been a big deal and required anything special.

I set my bike up for an upright position. This particular bike is what I ride on weekends and is my grocery-getter. The bikes I ride on the weekday differ but the rides are too short to matter.

This bike has a B72 saddle that is wider for an upright position and I use a Soma Sparrow townie type bar on it.

I'm 5'7", 137 lbs
I averaged about 11mph
I don't wear padded shorts
The weather was almost perfect.

Is my set up wrong? Do I need to hydrate more? Do I need to work out or something?

I would think I should be able to go twice that distance with no problem, so what do you think?

TIA,
You NEEDS to just get out there and ride more... and eventually you will go farther, and faster, feeling less beat up...