Old 07-31-19, 10:37 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Redlude is right. They are light/thin like a balloon. So they are not hard to tear if you take them off (and they are relatively cheap if you just want to replace them).

I've used them tubeless with cloth rim tape, but its probably more reliable using tubless rim tape.

Swapping tires is a delicate process - if the tire is hard to get off, the liner might tear. I do it (my tires are not super tight) - sometimes to swap on a different (tubed) tire for a few weeks then put the tubeless tire back on, sometimes just to rotate the tires. But, if I'm gentle with the valve, the air chamber stays intact - keeps the sealant in the air chamber.
Huh, well, got my front tire set up before work this morning.

Aside from messing around with the latex strip for a while just trying to get it over the rim, it was a piece of cake. Dunno why it took me 20 minutes to get the bright idea to just jam the whole thing inside the rim and then spread it out after but whatever haha.

Once I got everything on the rim...gave the tire a little squeeze at the valve, and one pump with the floor pump seated it. Held air at 80psi with no sealant. Was easier than I was expecting