Old 08-09-19, 11:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Interesting topic! I don't normally have this problem, but you made me realize what happened to me last night. I was riding, and we got a sudden and very intense thunderstorm. I'm in New York City, so I don't think it's necessary to take shelter during these. I kept riding, and one of my eyes started stinging badly. I thought it was a particle. I couldn't get it out with blinking and tearing, so I reluctantly wiped my eye, and that relieved me of the pain. Now I know it was sweat.

I generally wear a cycling cap under my helmet. @chas58, yes it can make me hotter, but my sweat makes my helmet disgusting, so it's like underwear.

I agree that synthetic is best for summer. The new material which I've heard called "jersey material" is a kind of polyester that feels like nylon. I might try that liner that @mynewnchrome cited. My synthetic summer hat is OK, but maybe I could do better. I have some t-shirts made of polyester, and I swear, wearing them makes me cooler than wearing nothing. It's as if they're made of an air conditioner.

The other ideas offered here are very interesting, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.