Old 08-14-19, 04:48 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I thought the same thing. People who are saying “rim calipers can’t fit 30mm rims” are obviously wrong. All 2nd gen SLR-ev shimano brakes fit 30mm rims. I’m currently using that setup with great results.

But an equivalent aluminum wheel wouldn’t have to be 30mm wide. Carbon walls are about 2.5mm thicker than aluminum. Carbon hooked walls are an additional 1.5mm thicker than aluminum hookless rims. I would say there’s about a 4mm difference then.

So a 23mm internal width rim (what I have; something that is fairly usable for both 25 and 28mm nominal tires) would be only 26mm wide rather than 30. That is more than acceptable for most rim brake systems.

Unfortunately, disc brakes and carbon are taking over quickly- carbon makes a lot more sense once you get rid of the brake track. So I don’t think it makes too much sense to invest in R&D for rim brake alloy wheels. 100% of new gravel or all-road bikes are disc brakes, and the wide-rim proposition is a lot more compelling for them, so you’ll see plenty of wide rims there. But not for roadies unfortunately.

However, I personally would much rather see hooked rims on the market since hookless provides almost no advantage for aluminum besides the increased internal width, which isn’t worth the tradeoff imo. More 21mm ID hooked rims on the market would be cool. But the closest right now is the Belgium+, which has sat at the top for quite some time now. Not sure why nobody has caught up in the meantime

Last edited by smashndash; 08-14-19 at 04:53 PM.