View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 02:43 PM
katerba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One piece multitool? OPMT EDC

Good folks, I'm riding again for the first time since college, and looking for some advice for cool and useful small lightweight bike tools, and tangentially curious if anyone has any links to super cool keychain gadgets, fidget thingies, and the like. I've decided to skip getting a Crank Bros M17 or Topeak Mini 9 until I understand my bike better. Not interested in any heavy folding plier like multitool - I've already got plenty, and the bike options are full of tools I don't yet need, and subscribe to "something that does everything, does nothing well". Basically I can't seem to find something cycling specific tool in the vein of a Gerber Shard, and dream of finding a hex/bike friendly OPMT I can fall in love with as much as my discontinued TT Pocket Tools Chopper.

My only bike specific tools are the Park Tools MT-1, Pedro's Six Pack, and Pedro's Trixie. These single piece metal tools are light, strong, simple, and cheap. They are not frustratingly small, ineffective, or awkward. I've already got a micro ratchet and bits. Could there be such a thing as an Atwood-like bike specific holy grail of EDC pocket tools?
The neat little Specialized EMT Micro seems like a Swiss Army Rambler type pocket tool, so I can't resist that, but it's not an OMPT. No current need for torx 25 until I upgrade to disc brakes.

Since someone will ask, my SS summer project is a nearly new KHS Solo One 2006. I'm upgrading the bar, stem, chainring, chain, pedals, and grips using the trinity of tools above. Next phase of the project is upgrading crankset, wheelset, and brakes, so that'll be a separate tool thread (who would EDC tools for those components?!)