Old 08-19-19, 09:48 PM
rubynewbie

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL 6 Womens’s and 2018 Cannondale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1

Third, and most importantly, best of luck with the medical stuff. Ms. Badger has twice fought and beaten cancer (thyroid and later, breast). Her course of treatment for the latter sounds very much like the one you are facing: she's now six years clear.
Thank you very much, this is encouraging. I am still in the “terrified shock” stage of my diagnosis. Your words and sentiment are comforting.

Originally Posted by kingston
While I love the idea of riding a hybrid to stay in shape, the concept of a carbon hybrid makes no sense to me. What difference does a few pounds make on a bike that's designed to be ridden at a moderate pace? If I were buying a flat-bar road bike for personal fitness for myself or someone in my family, my budget would be $5-600.
It is actually not carbon fiber, although they do make one of those too. But it does have the 105 components. From what I could find it’s the only aluminum frame offering that does.

Originally Posted by kingston
It's just my opinion. People buy all kinds of thing that don't make any sense to me, but I'm sure make a lot of sense to them. You and I likely have different definitions of "moderate pace". I don't know anyone I would call fast who prefers flat bars on a road bike.
I right now am looking for 30-60 minutes a night after work at a truly moderate pace. If I catch the bug and feel the need to hunker down and feel the wind in my face then I will revisit my original Roubaix purchase. I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that a lot of enthusiasts here aren’t still riding their first bike.

So I ordered the 2018 Cannondale Quick 1 Disc Womens in small. Brand new but an older model offered significant savings. The flat bars are supposed to be lower on the Quick 1 than the other Quick line up, but of course not to the level of drop bars. I’m wondering how many men here (and even women frankly) have ridden a drop bar bike while being fully weighted down by a G cup bra completely filled. I’m just guessing, but this possibly could have had something to do with how in the end I was more comfortable on a flat bar bike. But I really didn’t want to give up the 105 components, I enjoyed that on many of the bikes I test rode. After my breast cancer surgery I will lose a rather massive amount of breast size, and once I recover and get back to hitting the road every day again I might eventually consider a different type of bike, but I think this is a really good fit for where I am today.

I SO appreciate the wide variety of opinions offered here, thank you so much!