View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 03:18 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Sort of off topic, and not all that important, but this is something I used to wonder about while riding and needing something to occupy my mind during the commute to my previous job.

I regularly rode past signs in a residential area across from a large park with athletic fields that say State Law Requires Motorists To Yield To Pedestrians In The Crosswalk.

Note that it says IN the crosswalk.

What if they're just NEAR the crosswalk? What if they're standing there with body language indicating they're waiting to cross the road, looking both ways, and waiting for a break in traffic? Or what if they're walking toward the crosswalk but aren't quite there yet?

Of course drivers should stop. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But I used to ride by and think about what might happen if one didn't stop for someone and got pulled over for failure to yield to a pedestrian. "But officer, I obeyed the sign. They weren't IN the crosswalk. They were only NEAR the crosswalk!" I wonder if that would work in court, due to the ambiguity of the sign language.
Where I am, once they put a foot on the cross walk you have to yield. That why they have signs before them, so you know to slow down and and be ready to stop. Don't have to stop for bikes being ridden across though. Pushed, yes though.