View Single Post
Old 08-26-19, 08:26 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I forgot to post Friday's epic fatbike adventure ride - 60 miles of mixed surfaces.

I can't think of anything I missed for summer time surfaces: paved roads, gravel roads, paved trails, limestone trails, rail-ballast trails, grass trails (mown and unmown), mud trails, trailblasing when the old trail had been washed out. I guess I missed some beach sand ... there was some sandy sections but not what I'd call beach sand.

Mud caked on tires from the soft silt/clay/mud fields in the riverbottoms - lots of walking since I'd just spin out in these conditions.
For the record - these is a riverbottoms trail, not the typical trail where riding muddy conditions will create erosion issues. These trails have been underwater for most of the year, a tire rolling over this trail is nothing compared with a powerful river flowing over it over the last 6 months.

There were lots of brick factories along the river a century ago, this fallen tree must have been in a production area ... still searching for some history for this location

To the point about the power of the flooding over the last few months, the "trail" goes through this mess of trees. I was able to find a way under these trees through the shallow pool on the bottom left of the pic.

Likes For Hypno Toad: