View Single Post
Old 06-30-09, 09:56 AM
gooutside_andpl
Skeena rider

Bikes: Bianchi replica of Moreno Argentin's ride on the 86 world championships, Colnogo Dream Plus, Colnago C-50 Spiderman, Specialized Expedition, Trek Elite 9.8 mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First the tour, then the gear.

I first toured on a 10-spd road bike, with a day-pack on my handlebars (straps wrapped over the bar, cinched-up in the center so my wheel could turn) that fell against my brake cable. I had to disconnect the front brake while riding and climbing, then - when topping a pass - stop, put the pack on my back, re-connect my front brake and ride down.

I had a rear rack, where I kept my sleeping bag and tent rolled-up under a foam pad, and bungeed it all together so my wet clothes could dry-out on top.

Sure, I looked like the Beverly Hillbillies, but I rode all over Idaho and Montana for as long as 3-weeks at a time and fell in love with bicycle touring. I also learned about what to carry, how to organize my stuff, how to plan a trip, how to climb big hills, how to eat on the road, etc.

Since you can't learn to do something without "doing" it, I say get on whatever you have, jerry-rig something to carry your gear, pick an adventurous route and hit the road. You will learn by doing and have many a tale to tell.

You've got the rest of your life to select gear. Get touring now and happy trails.